Caring for your skin
CARING FOR YOUR SKIN
How to care for your scalp
Dennis, an Optune GioTM user and Patient Ambassador
Tips to minimize skin irritation
Proper scalp care plays an important role in helping prevent irritation and maximizing your time on Optune Gio.
Change transducer arrays at least twice a week (one set of arrays should not be worn for more than 4 days at a time)
Make sure your transducer arrays receive enough ventilation.
Remove arrays gently by pulling back on the edge of the array, taking a minute to remove each array
- Use baby oil to loosen the edges of the arrays to pull them off OR
- Unplug the cords from the connector box and step into a warm shower to loosen and remove the arrays. This tip comes from other Optune Gio users
Shift transducer arrays during routine changes
- To limit skin irritation, slightly shift the placement of the transducer arrays by about 0.75 inches from the last location. You should change contact sites every time you change them. On your next transducer array change, shift them back to the previous position
- The ceramic discs leave a slight mark on the surface of your scalp. This allows you or your caregiver to see where to position the new set of arrays
Avoid placing ceramic discs directly over screws, plates, or scars
Reduce your risk of infection Wash hands Wash your hands before each application and removal of transducer arrays Shampoo Wash your scalp between transducer array changes Clean Clean the electric razor per manufacturer’s guidelines after every shave
What should I do if my skin becomes irritated?
Skin irritation that happens with Optune Gio most often can be managed with proper skin care. You can also use medications such as topical corticosteroids and antibiotics, without discontinuing therapy.
If you experience swelling, redness, excessive itching, or other skin-related symptoms:
- Take a photograph of the affected area
- Contact your doctor to discuss treatment options
- If you have a scheduled appointment at a time when skin irritation is a concern, do not wear arrays to the visit, so your doctor can properly examine your scalp
This information is not intended to take the place of your doctor’s advice.
Maintaining Healthy Skin Hygiene
Optune Gio users and caregivers share tips on how to help keep the scalp from developing skin irritation or infection.